Thursday, September 24, 2015

Guest Post by Tellulah Darling, author of Get Real

I'm over-the-moon to have Tellulah Darling, author of the upcoming novel Get Real, take over the blog today. But first a little bit about her new book. 
Get Real is a romantic comedy, urban fantasy whirlwind with sass, sex, and swoon, set in the world of “Cadabras"–humans with magical powers.

Francesca Bellafiore is a good Jewish girl, living up to family expectations that she use her magic to heal others. Underneath, she’s a wannabe badass with her heart set on becoming a detective and solving magical crimes. But nice girls don't disappoint their moms.

Party boy Rafael Muñoz does everything possible to publicly disappoint his high profile father. Privately, it's a different story. His carefully crafted bad boy reputation masks the fact he’s a master illusionist, forced into solo covert ops. The role is wearing thin and Rafael longs to be part of a team.

When Francesca meets Rafael at a friend's party, she's taken by the sexy stranger. Until he speaks. Beautiful plumage doesn't compensate for spectacular ego. Rafael finds Francesca's sweetness a turn-on. For about five minutes. Judgmental golden girls are more trouble than they're worth. Then a terrified girl with reality warping powers, locked and loaded on their destruction, whisks the pair to Manhattan. Francesca and Rafael are caught in a web of magic, minions, secrets, and enough sexual tension to power NYC. Desperate to prove themselves, their only chance to save the city and survive is to team up, trust each other–and maybe even fall in love.

Provided they don't kill each other first.
 




Guest Post
Hang on. You mean I wasn’t supposed to put sex in a YA romcom? Aww, man...

As someone making the jump from YA to NA 
author, I’ve been doing a lot of chatting about what new adult actually is. Inevitably, I am met with one of three reactions:

1) That’s like YA with sex, right?
2) *blank stare*
3) Isn’t that just a BS marketing label?

Confession time. I’ve actually had all three of
those reactions at one point or another. But my decision to write and market my latest romantic comedy Get Real as new adult wasn’t one I took lightly.

For me, YA is all about the high school years. 
That 13-18 age range where we’re generally still under parental control and stuck in a very unnatural environment of being grouped by age. YA speaks to the specific concerns of “Who am I?”, “How do I stand out?”, “How do I not stand out too much?”, and most awesomely “I’m in love for the first time! lalalalala”. Teen passion has a beautiful hilarious awkwardness to it. Not so much for my poor deluded characters, but you know, for the rest of us on the outside.

Once we graduate, leave those high school
walls, we’re looking forward. Thinking about what it means to be an adult, with all the challenges and heady freedoms involved. And yes, that includes sexual experimentation at a whole other level. Probably. Though, if it was just about sex, I wouldn’t have bothered to write NA. It’s about thematic concerns. YA wouldn’t have been an honest fit for what my characters are facing, but calling it an adult romantic comedy didn’t work either. Because they’re not yet adults. That’s the point of the journey – figuring out on what terms to start their adult lives, and how that impacts being in love.

I italicized that last bit because
it’s at the heart of things. *insert pun groan here* I write romantic comedy (with some fantasy adventure bits). New Adult provides a very specific lens and POV where love is concerned. Maybe my characters have only had that one sweet other. Maybe they tore their way through their high school roster. Whatever the experience, it’s formed them, up to a point. The clay hasn’t hardened fully. Now I get to come along and set them in a hilariously painful way. How great is that for me as an author? (And hopefully fun for you as a reader.)

I’m super excited to keep exploring this brave
new world of new adult and I’d love to hear your thoughts about it. Do you read NA?

xo


Tellulah

Don't forget to add Get Real to your TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment