Thursday, August 27, 2015

Guest Post by Katrina Hart, author of Finding Destiny

Blurb
When eighteen year old Alex’s little sister’s pony goes missing, he sets out to look for her and finds himself in a strange gypsy camp in the middle of a forest. The pony is being cared for by a young girl called Faith. When Alex accepts a drink from Faith’s grandmother, he wakes up later to find himself transported into 2038 to a technologically-advanced, very colourful world inhabited by humans and robots. Alex soon discovers that he is now twenty, married and has a magical little baby girl. A magic he only seems to notice. He soon finds out that he will have to defend his little girl from the half-breeds with everything he has. He travels back through the magic pages of books to try and save her before it is too late and she is lost from him forever.




Character techniques.
One of my favourite things about writing my novel was following Alex along with all the other characters and getting to know their quirks, their fears and what they felt most passionate about as well as hated. In the very early stages I learnt how to hot seat my characters by asking them lots of questions or having others ask them questions. As well as recording myself reading their answers which helped me get all their voices right in my mind. I found both techniques were  fun ways of developing my knowledge of all my characters very quickly while following their journey as well as gaining a better understanding of the way they talk and think.
My family often tell me I talk about my characters like any moment they will walk through our front door for a visit. I often wonder what would happen if Dragonstar burst through the door in his manner and introduced himself like this, "Dragonstar's my name, I'm the leader of the half-breeds and we will be obeyed. Them sad saps come to me with their deals. I'm only too happy to appease their plight, they can never win over me. I have bigger needs now. I live like an animal, but soon 'Quill City' will be mine. I will show those who try to stop me I might be old but I am no fool." Or  if Missy Talk A lot was to show up one day on the sofa. They would all run a mile I'm sure. I think for me spending so much time with my characters makes them all very real and special like friends from a whole new place.
On my own blog I even have some interviews with a few of my characters along with their images and diary entries from Missy Talk A lot. As while getting to know them I had a lot of things that I couldn't add to the novel itself.  I feel it's nice to be able to add some of that onto my blog for anyone who wants to read more about them before or after reading their story.



Author Bio..
My name is Katrina Hart but I was always called Katie. I live in the East of England with my family and Holly, Smokey my two cats as well as Jessie our dog, they are a nutty bunch but I love them all the same. I have always had a passion for reading. I could easily spend a whole lifetime engrossed in a good book. In my twenties I joined an online writing class, where I fell in love with writing my own stories. Since I started writing I have discovered a new love for quotes, a quote that really inspired was from Toni Morrison. Toni said  “If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” I came across this quote whilst I was studying, this is one of the many things that inspired me to begin my first novel. I always welcome anyone to visit my blog.

Twitter       Facebook      Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very unique way to picture your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    It's been great following the tour so far. Thinking over the character's intricate details indeed makes them lifelike.
    Take care,
    Vittoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vittoria.

      Thank you for following my tour means a lot to me. Sure does.

      I hope you're having a lovely week.

      Take care.

      Katie.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for having me on your blog. 😊

    ReplyDelete